Vegan Pineapple Cake
by Kathryn Martin
Summer is officially here! If your family life is like ours, you’re probably already in the midst of a busy summer, and already planning for a number of picnics and BBQs. Believe me, as a mom of a son with multiple food allergies, I know how much planning goes into any event with food! If you’re looking for a tasty and allergy-friendly dessert for a crowd, then I have the perfect summer picnic cake for you!
This vegan pineapple cake is one of our family’s favorites. Growing up, my Mom used to make it with traditional cream cheese icing and eggs. Since my five-year-old son has food allergies to dairy, eggs, nuts and sesame, we’ve learned to adapt old family recipes like this to make it safe for our little guy!
Why do we love this cake so much?
• It’s dairy free and egg free.
• It freezes well.
• You can make it with two different kinds of icing – whatever your taste buds and food allergies allow.
• It’s different than the usual desserts you find at picnics and parties. People will ask you for the recipe!
• It’s completely moist and delicious - a real crowd-pleasing dessert.
Here is the cake with the richer, thicker, dairy-free cream cheese icing.
Here is the cake with the lighter tasting coconut glaze. Either one is delicious.
• 2 cups unbleached white flour*
• ¾ cup sugar (the original recipe called for 2 cups, but ¾ is all you need!)
• 1 can (20 oz.) crushed pineapple in juice
• ½ cup applesauce
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 1 tsp baking soda
• Pinch of salt
*I have not tried it with gluten free flour, but I encourage you to try it out if your family eats gluten free
Dairy-free Cream Cheese Icing:
• 1 stick safe butter (I used Earth Balance ® )
• 8 oz. dairy-free cream cheese (I used Daiya Plain Cream Cheese)
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 2.5 cups powdered sugar
• ½ cup coconut milk (I used So Delicious ® Dairy Free Original Culinary Coconut Milk)
• ½ cup powdered sugar
Coconut Topping (optional, can be used for either icing):
• ¼ - ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9 x 13 in pan.
2. Mix the dry cake ingredients (flour, sugar, baking soda and salt) together with a whisk.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients (pineapple, applesauce and vanilla) with a spoon.
4. Combine the dry and wet ingredients and mix thoroughly with a spoon or spatula.
5. Pour in greased pan and bake for about 25 minutes (or until toothpick comes out clean) at 350 degrees.
6. Use electric mixer to combine ingredients for either the icing or glaze option – whichever you choose. Mix well.
7. When cake is cool, add icing or glaze. Sprinkle with ¼ - ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut if desired.
I’d also suggesting adding a little dairy-free ice cream on the side for an extra-special treat! I hope you and your family enjoy this delicious cake. Let me know what you think!
Kathryn Martin’s blog, www.Mamacado.com, is about food, family and fun…with a food allergy twist. Her son has food allergies to dairy, eggs, sesame, tree nuts and peanuts (outgrew wheat). She is a working mama who loves her family, healthy living, and avocados (of course!) Check out her blog, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest or Facebook page for fun with allergy-friendly food and family.
Kids With Food Allergies (KFA) invites authors to contribute guest blogs. In return, we link to their websites or blogs. These links are not an endorsement or sponsorship of content on these third-party sites. For more information, please refer to our terms of service.