KFA Leadership & Announcements

AllergyEats Releases 2016 Top 10 List of Allergy-Friendly Restaurants

Earlier this month, AllergyEats announced its annual top 10 list of the most allergy-friendly restaurant chains. Diners rating restaurants on AllergyEats gave a thumbs up to Rainforest Café for the first time ever. The list is divided by large and small chains. Rainforest Café is number one on the list of small restaurant chains. The ratings are based solely on a restaurant's ability to accommodate food allergies. The website and mobile app is run by Paul Antico, a father of children with...

Are Local Summer Programs Required to Accommodate My Child With Food Allergies?

Many towns, cities and counties offer camps and summer programs. They are often less expensive than private day camps and sleep-away camps, making them attractive to local families. Each spring, parents ask Kids With Food Allergies, “Are local summer camps required to accommodate my child with food allergies?” The answer is yes. These camps must accept children with food allergies and asthma. The camp must make adjustments for full participation. This may mean offering allergen-free meal...

Can You Bring Outside Food to Restaurants If You Have a Food Allergy?

People with food allergies can have a hard time eating at restaurants. Sometimes, you can’t avoid a restaurant where it’s difficult to order a safe meal. Three attorneys from the Allergy Law Project answer the question: can a person with allergies bring outside food into a restaurant if a safe meal is not available? Unfortunately, there is not a lot of legal guidance on this specific issue.

Celebrate Pi(e) Day 2016 with #Pi4All Allergy-Friendly Pie Photo Contest

In honor of Pi Day (3.14), So Delicious® Dairy Free is hosting its second annual Instagram contest called Pi(e) 4 All (#Pi4All), celebrating allergy awareness. For every photo of allergy-friendly pie uploaded to Instagram, and tagged with #Pi4All and @so_delicious, between Saturday, March 12 and Monday, March 14, So Delicious will donate $3.14 to KFA. Additionally, one lucky winner will receive a Visa gift card worth $314 for their photo!

Follow KFA on Instagram for All the Allergy-friendly Foods at Natural Products Expo West

Are you excited to see the newest allergy-friendly foods? Follow @ kidswithfoodallergies on Instagram as we check out the new products at Natural Products Expo West on March 11-12 . Hundreds of companies attend this event to show off their latest foods. We'll tag our photos with # NewFoodFind and tell you what you can look forward to buying in 2016. Many of these foods are free of eggs, dairy, gluten, or even free of all top-8 allergens.

Survey: What Are Your Thoughts on Possible Food Allergy Treatments?

AAFA is working with researchers at Northwestern University who are currently conducting a pilot study called "Parental Therapy Preferences for Children with Food Allergy". Parents of children with food allergies are invited to complete an online survey about your thoughts on possible food allergy treatments. This study aims to better understand the needs of patients and their families when deciding on a therapy in order to improve current and future therapy options. All responses will be...

College Student with Food Allergies Relies on Friends to Help Keep Herself Safe

How is Valentine's Day different when you are diagnosed with multiple food allergies at 19? Kylee Christensen is 21 and is a college junior studying criminal justice in Illinois. At 19, she had a severe allergic reaction and was diagnosed allergic to multiple foods. Kids With Food Allergies and Kylee recently chatted online about how she manages romance, food allergies and college friendships while away at school. We spotted Kylee when she posted a picture of an "emergency box" she keeps in...

Dating Decisions: Ways Teens with Food Allergies Can Stay Safe

Dating as a teenager should be fun. But for a teenager with food allergies, dating can be tough, especially around food-centric holidays like Valentine’s Day. While many teenagers take for granted many parts of dating—like where to eat, where to go or even kissing—those with food allergies have to think ahead. Parents should help teens develop a plan for talking to dates about their allergies. Teens should also be sure to bring their emergency medication with them. And if...

Show You #TealLove Someone with Food Allergies 

Share the #TealLove this Valentine's Day! What is #TealLove? It is being inclusive of those with food allergies by: Encouraging non-food gifts and treats Having allergy-friendly options if there are food treats Pledging to read food labels to help keep kids with food allergies safe One in 13 U.S. kids has a food allergy. Help us spread awareness and encourage inclusiveness by sharing these awareness ribbons. You can use them as your profile pictures on social media: How to...

Show Your Valentine #TealLove with Non-Food Gifts

Allergy-Friendly Ideas for Valentine's Day Valentine's Day has long been associated with candy and sweets. For children with food allergies, this can mean being excluded or feeling unsafe. Focusing on non-food gifts allows them to safely enjoy the holiday. Exchanging Valentines is a fun tradition in schools. Most of us have fond memories of exchanging Valentines with our friends and classmates. Talk with your child's teacher in advance about having a safe and inclusive celebration. Many...

What Are Your Food Allergy Resolutions for 2016?

We asked: What are your food allergy resolutions for 2016? Here are some of your answers: Resolve to Put Myself First “I'm taking better care of me so I can take good care of everyone else.” -Kathryn Resolve to Learn to Cook New Dishes "My resolution was to learn to cook Asian cuisine safely managing our PN/TN/Sesame allergy. So far I have cooked Beef and Broccoli, Pork Fried Rice, Orange Chicken and Crab Rangoons. All were delicious and I can guarantee healthier than we...

NJ Governor Signs Law Allowing Access to Epinephrine in Public Places

Congratulations, New Jersey! Governor Christie has signed a bill into law expanding access to epinephrine auto-injectors in public places. What does this mean for you? Under the law, a person who has completed a training program will be allowed to give epinephrine to anyone experiencing a severe allergic reaction, or anaphylaxis . Certain public places and businesses (such as restaurants, amusement parks, theaters, camps, etc.) will be allowed to have auto-injectors available for food...

Proposed Federal Bill Adds Sesame to List of Major Allergens

An important bill in Congress adds sesame to the list of major allergens that must be declared on a food label. Currently, only eight allergens - milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat and soy - are listed on food labels . Allergens not on that list - such as sesame – are sometimes called non top-8 allergens. The Food Labeling Modernization Act of 2015 (HR 4061) would make sesame the ninth allergen regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). In addition, the...