Help us raise awareness about food allergies May 10-16, Food Allergy Awareness Week. Around 26 million American adults and 5.6 million children have food allergies.
Anaphylaxis, a severe allergic reaction, causes 30,000 emergency department visits each year. With the right education and treatment, we can help people manage food allergies to reduce medical emergencies.
The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA) and the MedicAlert Foundation have teamed up this year to help people manage food allergies and reduce severe allergic reactions. You can take part by making a pact to ACT for allergy.
You can also raise awareness during May using our social tools below. (Kids With Food Allergies is a division of AAFA.)
Change Your Profile Picture
Change your profile image to one of our awareness ribbons or add a Facebook Frame or Twibbon to show you support food allergy awareness.
- Download and use one of our awareness ribbons
- Add a Facebook frame to your existing profile pic or find it in “camera effects”
- Add a Twibbon to your Twitter profile image
Share Awareness Images
Share facts about food allergies with our awareness images. To share, click an image below. Then click one of the social sharing buttons to post the image on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn and Reddit.
Ready-to-Tweet Food Allergy Facts
Here are some quick awareness messages and food allergy facts you can tweet to spread awareness for #FoodAllergyAwarenessWeek:
- A food allergy is when the body's immune system sees a certain food as harmful and reacts against it. Symptoms can be life-threatening. https://ctt.ec/zTa9b+ #FoodAllergyAwarenessWeek via @kfatweets Tweet This
- In honor of Food Allergy Awareness, I'm making a pact to A.C.T. for Asthma and Allergy. By working together, we can reduce severe asthma attacks and allergic reactions: kidswithfoodallergies.org/act #act4asthma #act4allergy via @kfatweets Tweet This
- Over-the-counter allergy medicine (antihistamines) will not stop anaphylaxis. The first line of treatment for severe allergic reaction is epinephrine. https://ctt.ec/JxecU+ via @kfatweets Tweet This
- Hand sanitizers do not remove food proteins. Use soap and water or wipes to clean hands and surfaces. https://ctt.ec/Hbl2E+ via @kfatweets Tweet This
- Managing food allergies means you have to carefully read all labels, every time, even on non-food items. Ingredients can and do change. https://ctt.ec/cLQEW+ via @kfatweets Tweet This
- The FDA requires the top 8 allergens - milk, egg, peanut, tree nut, soy, wheat, crustacean shellfish and fish - in the US to be declared by common name on food labels. https://ctt.ec/HeucR+ via @kfatweets Tweet This
- Read food labels every time you buy a product, even if you've used that product before. Ingredients can and do change: https://ctt.ec/txp6h+ #FoodAllergyAwarenessWeek via @kfatweets Tweet This