For Immediate Release
August 31, 2016
Magic Gourmet Trading Inc. of Millbrae, CA is recalling all Koi Palace Mooncake products purchased in August 2016 because these items do not contain proper labeling of ingredients and possible allergens. Mooncake products manufactured by Magic Gourmet contain possible allergens such as wheat, gluten, eggs, milk, peanuts, pine nuts, almonds, walnuts, and/or sesame. For those who are susceptible to allergic reactions, allergens can cause itchiness, cramps, difficulty swallowing, shortness of breath, diarrhea, and possibly anaphylaxis. Though rare, anaphylaxis can be life-threatening and is potentially fatal.
The recalled "Koi Palace Mooncakes" were distributed at Koi Palace restaurant locations in Daly City, CA, Dublin, CA, and Milpitas, CA and Uwajimaya supermarkets in OR and WA. The products that are recalled include:
- Mini Egg Yolk in White Lotus Seed Paste
- Fresh Five Nuts with Smoked Ham
- Five Nuts with Smoked Ham & Egg Yolk
- Single Box – Mini Rose Paste
- Single Box – Mini Pumpkin Seed Paste
- Single Box – Mini Jasmine Paste
- Single Box – Mini Oolong Tea Paste
- Single Box – Mini Walnut, Red Bean Paste
- Luxury Single Mooncake – Mini Bird’s Nest, Black Sesame & Coconut Paste
- Luxury Single Mooncake – Mini White Lotus Seed Paste w/ Egg Yolk
- Luxury Single Mooncake – Mini Fresh Five Nuts with Smoked Ham
- Mini Wolfberry & Dates Paste
- Black Truffle with Five Nuts
- 8 Mini Treasures Combo
- Seven Stars Reunion
- Dalmaji with Happy Family
The products are packaged in a rectangular burgundy paper box with a koi fish logo and/or a circular golden paper box with a koi fish logo. (Pictures attached below).
No illnesses or incidences have been reported to date in connection with this problem.
The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) alerted Magic Gourmet to the improper labeling. Magic Gourmet has currently stopped its seasonal sale of mooncakes and is working to label new products under FDA regulations. Consumers who have purchased the recalled “Koi Palace Mooncakes” may return the unopened products to the place of purchase for a full refund. Consumers with questions may contact the company at 1 (650) 239-9069 from Monday to Friday between 9PM-6PM PST.