May 9-15, 2021, is Food Allergy Awareness Week. This time each year, the food allergy community comes together to raise awareness. This year, we’re working to dispel myths and misconceptions about food allergies.
Food Allergy Awareness Week starts on Mother’s Day. KFA recognizes the diligence that goes into managing food allergies. Label reading, cooking food from scratch, doctor’s appointments, and working with schools on care plans are just some of the many things you do. We wish moms Happy Mother’s Day and salute you for all the hard work you do to keep children safe!
The burden of living with food allergies is heavy. And there’s no cure. Greater awareness drives better care, better laws, and more research to help improve the quality of life of families managing food allergies. We hope you’ll join us during Food Allergy Awareness Week to share food allergy facts, as well as your personal experiences so we can improve knowledge and understanding of food allergies. Food allergy education saves lives.
Here are two ways you can support KFA and families who manage food allergies during Food Allergy Awareness Week:
- Double your impact with a donation to KFA – Neocate® will match dollar to dollar each gift to KFA from May 1-31, 2021, up to $5,000. That means your gift can have double the impact to help us save lives and reduce the burden of food allergies through support, advocacy, education, and research.
- Share our food allergy images and facts – Use the power of social media to spread food allergy facts. Share our awareness images through the month to help people gain a better understanding of food allergies.
A few examples include:
Will you help us raise food allergy awareness? Here are just a few ways you can participate:
- May 11, 7 p.m. ET (4 p.m. PT): #foodallergy101 Twitter chat co-hosted by @kfatweets and @AAAAI_org
- May 13, 1:30 p.m. ET (10:30 a.m. PT): Webinar on Food Allergies in Infants and Toddlers with Dr. Michael Pistiner, Melanie Carver, and Sanaz Eftekhari
- May 14: Live cooking demo on Instagram for allergy-friendly recipes
- May 15, 2 p.m. ET (11 a.m. PT): AAFA New England hosts a virtual concert with food allergy entertainer, Kyle Dine, joined by the Massachusetts General Hospital for Children Food Allergy Buddies program