With nearly half of our visitors – and growing – already coming to the Kids With Food Allergies (KFA) website via mobile devices, we are dedicated to improving mobile access and building robust features. Unlike “apps,” mobile-ready websites (accessed via your phone’s browser) provide greater access to online content, forums and more without the need for frequent updates or downloads, and they can be used by both iPhone and Android users.
KFA will discontinue our iPhone app “KFA Forums” to focus instead on improving the mobile web experience for all mobile users. Our iPhone app will be removed from the iTunes app store and disabled on August 31, 2013. Just follow the simple instructions below to create a direct mobile web link to KFA on your iPhone or Android home screen.
- Open your browser and type in kidswithfoodallergies.org.
- Click the "share" icon (the forward arrow at the bottom center of your screen). It will bring up some options (see screenshot).
- Click "Add to Home Screen." You'll then see an option to name the icon, "KFA".
- Click "Add". There will now be a shortcut on your home screen. You can move it whatever location is convenient for you.
- When you click the icon, you will open our community in your iPhone Safari browser. You can use the mobile version of our website, or if you prefer, you can switch to Standard View (which is the same you see via computer/desktop). To switch to Standard View, click the cogwheel/gear icon and then select "Switch to Standard View".
Android phones can also add bookmarks to their home screens, but the process is a little different.
- Start by opening your browser. It is recommended to use the default Android browser or Google Chrome, if possible. Visit kidswithfoodallergies.org.
- Hit the menu button to add the page to your bookmarks. In Google Chrome, tap on the star and follow the prompt.
- Using the menu button, open your bookmarks and find the new one you just added. Press down and hold on the KFA bookmark until you see a menu and then select, "Add to home screen". This will add our KFA icon to your home screen so that you can easily visit our community at any time.