Skip to main content

Title Image
When I was younger I used to have allergic reactions to tree nuts and many other foods. Now I am not sure if I'm still allergic to tree nuts. Is there any way to test this safely?

There are a couple of different allergy tests to consider in your case. This testing can be done by an allergist and includes:

  • Prick skin testing to food allergens
  • Blood testing to measure specific IgE antibodies (sIgE) to foods

The results of this testing, used along with your medical history, can help determine if you should do an oral food challenge (OFC). This is done in the doctor's office under medical supervision. OFCs are the best way to know if you are still allergic to a food.

Food Allergy, Oral Food Challenges (OFC)
Answered by

John M. James, MD, is a board-certified allergist. He is also President of Food Allergy Consulting and Education Services, LLC. He has worked as a medical specialist in the field of allergy, asthma, and immunology for over 30 years. Dr. James received his bachelor’s degree from the University of Arkansas and his Doctor of Medicine degree from the University of Tennessee. He is board certified by the American Board of Allergy and Immunology.

Reviewed and Answered

Add Comment

Comments (0)

Link copied to your clipboard.