The holidays are a time for family, friends and food. Make sure everyone who prepares, handles and serves food that your child with food allergies will eat knows how to prevent cross contamination.
- Wash hands before and after eating or handling food, or keep wipes on hand. Hand sanitizer will not remove food proteins.
- Read the labels of all food ingredients. Be sure you know all the label reading tips!
- Wash all prep areas and eating areas with a paper towel and commercial cleaner, or a new sponge (a dirty one can transfer allergens).
- Keep unsafe foods away from safe foods when preparing, serving and storing.
- Prepare and cook safe meals first. Seal them and set aside. Then make unsafe foods.
- Use separate serving utensils for each dish.
- Make a plate for your child before the meal is served to avoid cross contamination.