Skip to main content

Brian Matusz, the southpaw relief pitcher for the Baltimore Orioles, went out to dinner after a game and didn't realize his dish had been cooked in peanut oil.

Matusz, who has been allergic to peanuts since childhood, started to experience anaphylaxis, a potentially life-threatening severe allergic reaction. He injected himself with his epinephrine auto-injector and went to a nearby hospital where he then suffered another reaction, known as a biphasic reaction.

Matusz recovered, rested and returned to pitching two days later. "It's one of those things I have to deal with. I have to be prepared and take precautionary measures. I have to be careful."

baltimore-orioles-pitcher-brain-matuszAP PHOTO / PAUL SANCYA

 

Read more: http://springtraining.heraldtr...com/2014/03/11/4505/

Attachments

Images (1)
  • baltimore-orioles-pitcher-brain-matusz: AP PHOTO / PAUL SANCYA

Add Comment

Comments (0)

Kids With Food Allergies
A Division of the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America
1235 South Clark Street Suite 305, Arlington, VA 22202
Phone: 1-800-7-ASTHMA (1.800.727.8462)
-->
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×