Skip to main content

Summer is drawing to a close and it’s back-to-school time once again. That means it’s time to make sure you have everything you need to keep your child with food allergies safe at school. Along with supplies, books, lunchboxes, uniforms and anything else you might need, make sure you check out these school resources from Kids With Food Allergies (KFA).

A New Year Means New Medicine Forms

Whether it is your child's first year in school or the sixth, you must send in new forms every year. See our checklist of the forms you need to have completed before the first day. Each school usually has their own version of forms you need such as a medication authorization or emergency action plan. These forms will need your doctor's authorization or signature.

Is Your Child Ready to Self-Carry Their Epinephrine Auto-Injectors?

How do you decide when your child with food allergies is ready to carry epinephrine and/or self-treat anaphylaxis? “Self-carry” refers to a child carrying their own set of epinephrine auto-injectors. “Self-administration” refers to a person injecting themselves with epinephrine to halt anaphylaxis. Self-carrying does not mean your child must be able to self-administer. Here are some ways to know if your child is ready.

Work With Your Child's School to Keep Your Child Safe

Did you know that 45 percent of severe allergic reactions in schools begin in the classroom? Ask your child's teacher to have a Teal Classroom™ that encourages being safe and inclusive for everyone with food allergies. Share our Teal Classroom Kit with teachers, the school nurse and other administrators at your child's school. The guide contains resources for teachers and other staff to promote food allergy awareness at school.

Make a Care Plan

There are three common types of care plans used in many schools:

  • Emergency Care Plan (ECP) – This is a medical plan from your child’s doctor for the school to follow.
  • Individualized Health Care Plan (IHCP) – This is a type of nursing care plan. For a student with food allergies, this would include an emergency care plan.
  • 504 Plan – This is a legal contract between a school and a student.

Learn more about the different food allergy care plans and how to work with the school to help determine which type you should ask for your child. 

Manage Your Anxiety

Sending a child to school has its fair share of anxiety for any parent. But for parents sending children with allergies or health concerns, there is an extra layer of apprehension involved.

One common concern among parents is how to keep their child from feeling left out in the classroom. With class party treats they can’t eat, activities they can’t enjoy and separate lunch tables, it’s easy to understand why parents worry. Read these 9 ways to support and empower your child with food allergies.

Need more resources? Our School Zone has many free resources for parents, schools, teachers and staff to use to prepare for the upcoming school year and keep students with food allergies safe.
Our online discussion forums can connect you with other parents for one-on-one support.


Add Comment

Comments (0)

Link copied to your clipboard.