Food Allergy Awareness: Before Leaving Emergency Care

Did you know?

Before leaving emergency medical care, your healthcare professional should provide the following:

  • An epinephrine auto-injector or a prescription for two doses and training on how to use the auto-injector


  • A follow-up appointment or an appointment with a clinical specialist such as an allergist/immunologist


  • Information on where to get medical identification jewelry or an anaphylaxis wallet card that alerts others of the food allergy


  • Education about allergen avoidance, recognizing the symptoms of anaphylaxis, and giving intramuscular injections of epinephrine


  • An anaphylaxis emergency action plan

Source: NIH Publication, Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Food Allergy in the United States: Summary for Patients, Families, and Caregivers.

Add Comment

Comments (0)

Kids With Food Allergies
A Division of the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America
1235 South Clark Street Suite 305, Arlington, VA 22202
Phone: 1-800-7-ASTHMA (1.800.727.8462)