Skip to main content

Six-Year-Old's Heart Stops After Eating Macadamia Nut Cookie, Life Saved by First Responders

Emily Hum, age 6, recently visited the fire fighters and medics who saved her life. She was not expected to survive when her heart and breathing stopped after eating a macadamia nut cookie.

 

The responders performed CPR as they rushed her to the hospital. She was later airlifted to Oakland's Children's Hospital where she stabilized and spent a month in recovery.

 

She was later diagnosed to be allergic to all nuts.

Read more about her story here: http://www.mantecabulletin.com...on/1/article/111286/

Attachments

Images (1)
  • manteca-bulletin-emily-hum

Add Comment

Comments (2)

Newest · Oldest · Popular

KFA ADMIN: There is one statement in the article that is incorrect that we would like to clarify.

 

In the U.S., food manufacturers are not required to state if food was processed in the same facility as peanuts (or any other major food allergen). FDA regulated foods are required to list top 8 allergens in the ingredients list if the food contains one of those allergens (peanut, tree nut, milk, egg, soy, wheat, fish, shellfish).

Post
Kids With Food Allergies
A Division of the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America
1235 South Clark Street Suite 305, Arlington, VA 22202
Phone: 1-800-7-ASTHMA (1.800.727.8462)
-->
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×