Sandwiches are often a go-to lunch option - unless you have to avoid wheat or gluten. Wheat-free does not have to mean the end of tasty lunches. It just means you have to get a little more creative. Try our wheat- and gluten-free twists on traditional lunches!
Pack with celery and carrot sticks, fruit gummies and milk or milk alternative.
Tuesday: Lunchables-style stackables - cut out pieces of deli meats or pepperoni and cheese with a cutter to match the size of your favorite gluten-free crackers. Use small dishes or silicone baking cups to hold each item.
Pack with snow peas, gluten-free granola and milk or milk alternative.
Wednesday: Sandwich on Wheat- and Gluten-Free Bread - not all gluten-free breads will hold up in a lunch box, but some planning can help:
- Toast the bread - gluten-free bread does much better when toasted. But sure to let it cool before filling and packing so it doesn't get soggy from condensation.
- Avoid "wet" fillings - deli meats and cheese are better options than egg salad or hummus. You can pack wet fillings or things like tomatoes separately. Add just before eating.
- Pack condiments separately - send individual packs of mustard or mayo to add just before eating.
- Still can't find a bread that works? Try an un-sandwich by using a lettuce wrap.
Pack with a pickle spear, cinnamon and sugar apple slices and milk or milk alternative.
Thursday: Taco-dilla with salsa or guacamole - spread refried beans on a soft corn tortilla. Top with taco meat and cheese. Toast in a dry pan until the tortilla is crispy. Cool before cutting and packing.
Pack with celery sticks, fruit leather and milk or milk alternative.
Friday: Pizza muffins with tomato dipping sauce - add diced pepperoni and shredded mozzarella-style cheese to your favorite gluten-free biscuit recipe. Gently pat out dough, cut out and bake. Cool completely before packing. Add a container of pizza sauce for dipping.
Pack with a green salad, mixed fruit salad and milk or milk alternative.
Still Need More Ideas?
Check out our Allergy-Friendly School Lunch Box Ideas. Need ideas other than wheat-free?
- A Week of PB&J alternatives for Lunch
- A Week of Egg-Free Lunch Box Ideas
- A Week of Milk-Free Alternatives for Lunch