Halloween will look different this year with changes to classroom parties, festivals and trick-or-treating due to the coronavirus (COVID-19). But while you celebrate on a smaller scale or at home, you may still want to have allergy-friendly Halloween candy on hand.
You can buy many allergy-friendly candies online or through no-contact pickup or delivery to help you practice physical distancing. Also consider giving non-food treats, like stickers, small toys, etc. Many kids love them as much as candy, and it helps you avoid food allergy reactions.
No matter how you plan to celebrate, below are some allergy-friendly top 8 free Halloween candy ideas. These candies are free of peanuts, tree nuts, dairy, egg, soy, wheat, fish and shellfish.
Always read product labels to make sure treats are safe for your family. Some candies can be repackaged with other candies that may contain allergens. Be sure you know all of these label reading "tricks" to make sure your "treats" are safe:
- Different varieties of the same candy may have different ingredients.
- Different sizes of the same candy may have different ingredients or advisory labeling.
- Individually-wrapped treats can be packaged in a larger bag - make sure the inner and outer labels match.
- Repackaged candy may have different labels than the candy made and sold directly by the company.
- Be careful of products with general labels like "allergy free" or "Halloween safe." There is no such thing as an “allergy safe” or “ allergy free” food because children can have allergies to any food. A food labeled "allergy free" may still include one of your child's food allergens.
Top 8 Allergen-Free Candies
Chocolate bars with Halloween wrappers
Chocolate lollipops in Halloween and fall shapes
Chocolate chips and morsels for making molded chocolates
Sun Cups and mint cups in dark or rice chocolate
Assorted cherry jelly beans
Cinnamon jelly beans
Sour gourmet chews
Licorice Scottie Dogs
Note: Soy is present in facility.
Note: Soy present in facility.
Allergy-friendly chocolates and hard candies
Enjoy Life products
Surf Sweets products
Yum Earth products
Note: Check individual products for ingredient statements.
Spook Free Treats – individually wrapped Choco NoNo’s, Milkless mini bars, No Whey mini bars and Peanot Cups
Deep Chocolate Brownie Bar
Chocolate chips for making molded chocolates
Note: Soy present in some facilities.
Mini Puffs in peppermint or lemon
Mini chocolate bits
Note: Some products contain coconut.
Dum Dums gummies (exclusively at Dollar General)
Circus Peanuts (except for the 7-ounce stand-up reclosable pouch and 6-pack tray which are not packaged in an allergen-free facility)
Note: Dum Dums lollipops and Saf-T-Pops contains trace amount of refined soy oil used in processing
Organic fruit tarts
Sour gummy worms
Chewie Fruities chews - Note: Manufactured in a facility that processes nuts, dairy and soy.
Giggles chew candy bites
Organic fruit lollipops
Gummy bears and fruit snacks
Originally published October 2015. Updated September 2020.